Curation notes for Visualisations

July 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm (Visualisations)

The posts below (and on the next page) show 2 strands of the visual element of my final work; generating ideas for my soundscape compositions within my process (sound drawings/mapping tactics), as well as constructing and testing within the final installation space itself.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Enter sandman…

July 2, 2009 at 12:00 pm (Visualisations)


The space is finally complete! I’ve made a couple of minor changes after getting some feedback from fellow students who don’t know my work. It became apparent that the plinth seat wasn’t perceived as a seat! So, I’ve decide to introduce some animated text within the projected movie. Since there’ll be quite a few people at our private view, I’ve decided to let more people in to the space at a time – 4 to be exact. This way more people will be able to experience the work, without compromising the experience.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Final stages of construction

July 2, 2009 at 11:23 am (Visualisations)

Aim to finish the build today, then I can focus on finishing off my compositions!


Permalink Leave a Comment

Seat-Trigger Test

July 2, 2009 at 11:20 am (MaxMSP/Jitter Progress, Visualisations)

The trigger is working as planned, though I still need to work on the transitions times:

Permalink Leave a Comment

Jitter + projection

June 18, 2009 at 9:05 pm (MaxMSP/Jitter Progress, Visualisations)

I built some Jitter patches to test in the room today. Initially I wanted to generate a colour and have it fade to black, then up again when it received an input. This would serve as a model for the seat trigger. I came up with a couple of working solutions with a different assortment of objects:


In the end, I found the easiest and most flexible solution was to hack an example patch, adapting it to my needs. After getting to grips with a few new objects I created the final patch, which allowed me to crossfade between 2 videos (one blue circle and my ear/window music video), as well as adjust hue, brightness, contrast and saturation:


I’m thinking of layering subtle moving imagery underneath my colour, to add texture and motion to the feel of the space. Previous experiments of projecting a still blue felt a bit static, as if the objects illuminated by the light were frozen in time – even with my compositions playing. In contrast, todays tests with moving image restored the sense of time and the space felt more inviting, which is what I want!


Permalink Leave a Comment


June 18, 2009 at 8:39 pm (Visualisations)

Over the last week or so a lot of progress has been made inside the room, largely due to my Dad’s help. Instead of painting the entire room black to acheive darkness, I’ve opted to create a room within the room. This eliminates any risk of people accidentally bumping into equipment, radiators, etc, as well as shaping how someone might experience the space in a more interesting way. (hopefully)


A wooden framework has been constructed from which I will hang black cloth to create the walls and ceiling, eliminating light. A projector has been secured on wooden beams across the top of the space, allowing for vertical projecting with a mirror.


So far, I’ve tested a few projections of colour on collected objects and a potential ‘seat’, accompanied by sound.

In everyday at the moment, so plenty of opportunity to keep testing and adapting my work. However, time is slipping away fast, so I must stay focused and keep up the pace!

Permalink Leave a Comment

Sketches for construction

June 12, 2009 at 6:27 pm (Visualisations)


Permalink Leave a Comment

Testing Projections

June 7, 2009 at 10:38 am (Visualisations)


Permalink Leave a Comment

Black out (almost)

June 2, 2009 at 6:41 pm (Visualisations)


Permalink Leave a Comment

Room Plan / Ideas

May 30, 2009 at 9:45 pm (Visualisations)

measurements5Slightly more detailed measurements to be made next week.

Permalink Leave a Comment

Next page »